Quick and easy crunchy fish bites made with Co-operative croutons instead of breadcrumbs. These are quick and easy to make, so why not let the children cook supper tonight. More on this recipe and others in our free Co-operative food digital magazine http://smarturl.it/FishBites?IQid=youtube
Also available on Apple iOS, Google Play, Amazon Kindle.
Fish bites with mushy peas
SERVES 4 TAKES 15 MINUTES TO MAKE + 15 MINUTES TO COOK
For the fish:
2 tbsp. plain flour
1 Co-operative British free range egg
2 x 40g packs Co-operative black pepper and sea salt or garlic and herb croutons
350g skinless white fish, e.g. cod or haddock
For the MUSHY PEAS:
200g frozen peas
Handful fresh mint leaves
Juice of ¼ of a lemon (a good squeeze)
To serve, 520g Co-operative American French fries, cooked according to pack instructions, plus lemon wedges and tartar sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/fan 180ºC/Gas 6†. Cover 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper. Put the flour into a shallow bowl. Crack the egg into another bowl and mix with a fork. †Ask an adult to help you use the oven.
2. Put the croutons into a large bowl and use your fingers to crush them up into little crumbs. You could also put them into a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin. Amanda’s tip: you can use breadcrumbs instead of croutons – just add a pinch of dried herbs or finely grated lemon rind to add a little flavour.
3. Use a pair of clean kitchen scissors to cut the fish into about 20 small squares, or whatever size you would like your fish pieces to be. Clean the scissors well afterwards.
4. Dip a piece of fish into the flour, then into the egg, and then into the crushed croutons. Put straight onto the baking trays, and then do the same with all the other fish pieces.
5. Bake the fish for 15 minutes until golden†. While it cooks, put the peas, ½ the mint and a little water (almost enough to cover) into a small pan†. Bring to the boil and cook the peas for 2-3 minutes, then drain the peas and take out the mint leaves.
6. Put the peas back into the pan, add the lemon juice and use the clean scissors to snip the rest of the mint into the pan. Mash with a potato masher. Serve the fish and mushy peas with lemon wedges, tartar sauce and some American fries or simply between thick slices of white bread.
See our latest deals in store on http://www.co-operativefood.co.uk/deals/
Find your local Co-operative food http://www.co-operative.coop/find-us/
Always wash work surfaces, cutting boards, utensils and hands before and after preparing food and after disposal of packaging. Wash fruit and veg before use, especially if eating raw. Make sure stored poultry is properly wrapped and kept at the bottom of the fridge, at or below 5°C. Do not wash raw poultry, and use different knives for raw meat than other foods. Ensure poultry is cooked thoroughly before consuming.
Video Rating: 5 / 5